Fashion is turning up the volume with larger than life silhouettes that are as whimsical as they are roomy. But how do you pull off these outsize looks? We walk you through the options.
If you like masculine cuts
Borrow from the boys and explore a masculine approach to volume, characterised by oversized outerwear and sharp lines. We loved Stella McCartney’s menswear-inspired pinstripes and Alexander Wang’s muted, moody grey.
Good to Know
• Raise yourself high on platform or block heels.
• Juxtapose proportions – baggy trousers with crop tops, and roomy boxy jackets with a slim pencil skirt.
• Add big, bold chunky chain jewellery.
See more masculine styles here.
If you like feminine cuts
There’s nothing flirtier than a bevy of ruffles and flounce – it’s the ultimate girly girl’s interpretation of volume. Mix and match contrasting textures like pleats and fur as seen at Sacai, and fall in love with Lanvin’s 1950s inspired dance dresses. Look out for pastel shades or jewel tones and prepare to spin and twirl.
Good to Know
• Full skirts are all about the waist – emphasise further with a belt.
• Minimise your accessories to play up the textures and flounce in your story.
• Floral prints and lace adds to the romance and femininity.
See more feminine styles here.