Like a precious timepiece, your choice of outfit or taste in art, a car can be a pretty accurate reflection of your style, personality and lifestyle. Are you sporty with a need for speed? Perhaps you’re a no-nonsense go-getter who values performance over form. Or a chic mum who appreciates a ride that’s generous with space without compromising its appeal? And there must be at least a dozen of you fashionistas out there who love a sleek car that complements your immaculate style, day or night.
Recently, Glam Asia was invited to test drive the new and improved Audi A4, and so I gladly did the honours.
If you ask me, now that I have actually sat at the helm of an Audi, what the A4 would reveal about its owner, I’d say she’s a woman who possesses a taste for the finer things in life; she has a sharp eye for detail, she appreciates that superficial beauty is transient if not also supported by substance and intelligence like she needs her car to be, and she’s always in step with the latest trends.
The A4 has been Audi’s bestseller for four decades now, and with its latest rendition, the German carmaker shows no signs of slowing down. If you’re already familiar with the car, you will easily spot — an experience — a number of detailed refinements, both aesthetically and performance-wise. Here’s a quick look at some of the key modifications you’ll like:
- It has a sleeker body to flaunt now with slight tweaks to its exterior design and dimensions.
- New plush materials (Audi is especially proud of the Beaufort oak plywood inlay) for the interior, new paint finishes for the exterior.
- A more intuitive drive with a streamlined MMI (multi-media interface) navigation plus system (four buttons instead of eight).
- A new state-of-the-art 1.8 TFSI engine, one of the most fuel-efficient of its class, means you’ll enjoy more power with less fuel consumption. (It’s hard not to notice how exceptionally smooth and quiet the drive is, too!)
- Other improvements made to the automatic transmission, Audi drive select, multi-functioning steering wheel and seat-heating and air-conditioning also enhance the overall driving experience.
GEARING UP FOR THE A4
As you know, the name Audi has been synonymous with fashion since the Audi Fashion Festival kicked off in 2009. I couldn’t help but pay extra attention to the aesthetics of the car and everything about the A4 that makes it a great fashion accessory when my eyes really should have been on the road (job hazard!).
Fine Nappa leather replaces Valcona in the 2012 version of the Audi A4.
Soft and durable, Nappa is a high-quality leather favoured by fashion designers. If you want to be matchy-matchy with your A4, go full throttle with the Nappa trend in a Gucci dress, Giuseppe Zanotti flat sandals and Bottega Veneta wallet.
One of the touches that Audi can’t stop gushing about is the gorgeous Beaufort oak plywood inlay. It’s plain to see how it adds an air of élan and plushness to the interior. Go with the grain in accessories such as Lanvin’s leather, suede and wood platform sandals, Stella McCartney’s statement wooden accordion clutch and Burberry Prorsum’s crocheted belt with wooden beads.